Terri Hayes
Managing Broker

Executive Home Sales
Toll Free: (800) 699-1558
Office: (770) 248-0770
Fax: (770) 248-1350
Closing: What Buyers Need To Know
What you need to provide prior to closing:

  1. A copy of the good faith estimate provided by your lender
  2. Homeowner's hazard insurance information (Name of the Insurance company, the premium & when it's due)
  3. Social Security numbers
  4. Copy of the executed Power of Attorney (bring the original to closing), if applicable

What you need to bring to closing:

  1. Photo ID
  2. Certified funds (cashier's check or certified check), if the amount due is more than $5,000. The funds can be made payable to you and can be endorsed at closing.
  3. Personal Checkbook, in case the amount needed at closing changes from the amount given to you by the lender or closing attorney (cannot exceed $5000).
  4. Homeowner's hazard insurance with paid receipt or invoice showing the amount due to be paid at closing.
  5. Any documents required by lender as conditions of closing (ex. Copies of tax returns, profit sharing...)
  6. Original executed Power of Attorney (if one party is unable to attend the closing), if applicable


If the application is found acceptable, the firm commitment is issued to the borrower and the lender prepares for the closing of the mortgage - the final step before you can call the house your own. In fact, two separate closings occur at this time: the closing of your loan and the closing of the sale. At this stage you should take care of the following things:

Closing date. Once your application for a mortgage loan has been approved and you have received a commitment letter from the lender, you should settle with the seller and lender the actual date of closing. Make sure that settlement will take place before your rate lock agreement expires.

Closing costs. You'll be required to pay your closing costs and down payment at the settlement. It's important to know before closing date how much money you'll need at closing. Call your lender to get the amount of money needed!

Within three business days of receiving the loan application RESPA requires the lender to give you a Good Faith Estimate of closing costs, which lists the charges the buyer is likely to pay at settlement. This is only an estimate and the actual charges may differ.

The HUD-1 Settlement Statement is a standard form that shows you the actual amount of money you'll need to bring to closing. RESPA allows the borrower to request to see the HUD-1 Settlement Statement one day before the actual settlement.

Let the lender know that you will want to see the HUD-1 Settlement Statement before closing and question any amount that you do not understand. It is also advisable to review all the documents you will need to sign prior to the closing date.

Final inspection of the property. If repairs or maintenance on the property are a part of the purchase agreement you should make a final inspection of the property. This is called the "walk-thru" and done prior to closing.

The closing will be conducted by an attorney representing the lender. Here is a list of the major documents you will have to sign at settlement:

The Deed is the document that transfers title to real property from one owner to another. The deed should contain an accurate description of the property being conveyed, should be signed according to the State laws where the property is located. The deed will be sent to you after the closing agent officially records the deed at your local government office.

The Mortgage is a lien on the real property that gives the lender the right to take the property by foreclosure if you default on the loan. It states your and lender legal rights and obligations including your responsibility to make your mortgage payments (principal and interest) and pay real estate taxes and insurance on time.

The Note is legal document that acknowledges a debt and promises to pay according to the agreed terms of the loan. It also recites the penalties and steps the lender can take if you fail to make your monthly mortgage payments.

The HUD-1 Settlement Statement must be signed by both you and the seller.

The Truth-in-Lending statement is required by the Truth-in-Lending act. It discloses the terms of the loan, including the interest rate, the loan amount, the annual percentage rate (APR) and the total payments required. If no changes in the loan terms have taken place since the loan application than this form isn't required.

The Initial Escrow Statement itemizes the estimated taxes, insurance premiums and other charges anticipated to be paid from the escrow account during the first twelve months of the loan. It lists the escrow payment amount and any required cushion. An Annual Escrow Statement must be also delivered to borrower once a year.

The Mortgage Servicing Disclosure Statement discloses to the borrower whether the lender intends to service the loan or transfer it to another lender.

Make sure you know exactly when and where you should send your first and subsequent payments and what the penalties are for being late.

copyright Agent Image 2001

<<Back To Buyers

 © 2005 Agent Image, Inc. All rights reserved. | Terms
Design by Agent Image - Real Estate Web Site Design